Lansdowne Dr & Horticultural Dr
Philadelphia, PA 19131
Explore the spooky world of yokai — Japanese ghosts, monsters, and mythical creatures — in this all-ages fall family day at Shofuso!
During this weekend, families can participate in activities inspired by Japan’s ghost stories while enjoying the house and garden. Take part in a scavenger hunt and collect trading cards of tsukumogami, or household objects come to life. Visit the kamishibai story card stage to watch tales of monsters unfold before your eyes, play themed carnival games, and create your own umbrella ghost puppet or spooky origami creature. You might even see a few ghouls roaming around.
As this is a Halloween event, family friendly costumes are encouraged. We will be offering a $2 discount to all visitors who come in costumes inspired by their favorite yokai.
All Yokai Weekend activities are free with regular admission to Shofuso – $10 adults, $5 students, seniors, and youth, $2 ACCESS card holders, and FREE for members, active military, and children under 3.
- Tsukumogami Scavenger Hunt: Follow the clues and find real-life objects around Shofuso which inspired yokai myths
- Kamishibai: Experience Japan’s classic paper theatre style of storytelling with stories about ogres and goblins!
- Games: Scoop fish, pin the nose on the tengu goblin, and take pictures with some friendly ghosts at our thematic photo booth.
- Crafts: Create your own kappa (water imp) paper mask and make an umbrella ghost puppet.
Yokai Family Weekend will also feature two after-hours events, recommended for ages 16 and up:
- On Friday, October 27 from 6-7 PM, learn about Japanese folk monsters—called yokai—with local art historian and professor Dr. Frank Chance. The lecture includes an intro to Japanese folklore, yokai, and their origins, as well as tellings of a few short yokai tales. Tickets for the lecture are $18 ($13 JASGP members) and may be purchased here.
- On Saturday, October 28 from 6-7 PM, hear spine-tingling ghost stories by candlelight as local folklorist and storyteller Denise McCormack thrills guests. Tickets are $25 ($20 JASGP members) and may be purchased here.