- First Visit? What you need to know!
- Hours of Operation
- Admission Prices
Visiting our Site
Shofuso is a 1.2 acre Japanese garden listed as the third best Japanese garden in North America by Sukiya Living, and named the “Best Hidden Tourist Attraction” by Philadelphia Magazine.
Because Shofuso reflects conditions of seventeenth-century Japan, it is not accessible to wheelchairs or scooters. Shofuso is not easily accessible to users of walkers, canes, or prosthetics, and such devices may require a soft protective covering to preserve our historic flooring. We are not handicap accessible.
Shoes are not allowed in the house, but socks or stockings are required. Shoes are required in the garden.
Guided tours of the house are available at no additional cost but are dependent on docent availability. Groups of 10 or more require a reservation. For more information, see our Group & School Tours page.
Lansdowne and Horticultural Drives
West Fairmount Park
Philadelphia, PA, 19131
Please note! Google maps incorrectly indicates which gates are accessible to the public!
Shofuso is located on the grounds of the Horticulture Center, in West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia.
- Take the Montgomery Drive exit (Exit 341) from I-76 (the Schuylkill Expressway).
- Head west on Montgomery Drive
- Turn left onto Belmont Mansion Drive (at the sign for the Horticultural Center and the Japanese House and Garden)
- Slight left onto Horticultural Drive (pass through the black iron gate)
- Turn right to stay on Horticultural Drive (follow the drive around the greenhouses to the Japanese House)
- Park in our free parking lot!
Public Transportation Directions
Shofuso is located a five-minute walk from the Please Touch Museum, on the grounds of the Horticulture Center, in West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia.
- Take Septa Bus 38, Septa Bus 40, or the PhillyPhlash to the Please Touch Museum.
- Walk through the Please Touch Museum parking lot on the left of the building
- Turn left onto Lansdowne Drive
- Pass through the black iron gate
- Shofuso will be directly ahead
Hours of Operation
Shofuso is currently closed for regular visitation for the winter season, but there are lots of great programs throughout our off-season. We reopen Wednesday through Sunday on April 1, 2017 for cherry blossom season.
April through October:
Wednesday through Friday 10am to 4pm
Saturday and Sunday 11am to 5pm
We are available during the week for pre-booked groups of 10 or more. For more information, please see our Group & School Tours page.
$5: Senior citizens
$5: Children 3-17
$5: Students with College ID
$2: ACCESS Cardholders with photo ID
Free: Children under the age of 3
Free: Active duty military ID holder plus up to five family members
Group & School Tour info
Parking is free.